Friday, July 15, 2011

Como Estai?

I have a fax line that rings a distinctive tone on the same land line phone that I have at my house. Tonight I decided to practice a new invented language on the caller who dialed my fax number. So the conversation went like this:

Me: "Como Estai?"

Caller: "Hello?"

Me: "Zenga son bob bob bobuda?"

The caller then had no answer to my last question so I had to hang up.

I do hope that my new language got the caller thinking about the role of words and different languages and perhaps my reply to his "Hello" will get the caller to research what possible language I was speaking. Then again, maybe at least I provided this caller with a good "story" that he can tell his fellow telemarketers.

This somewhat reminds me of a "Seinfield" episode where "Jerry" received a call from a telemarketer and asked for the telemarketers home phone number so that he could randomly call the telemarketer back, preferably at dinner time. The telemarketer wouldn't provide his personal phone number to Jerry and Jerry didn't think that was fair as the telemarketer did of course call Jerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment