Monday, July 13, 2009

"The Chair is Not my Son"

YouTube - Michael Jackson - Billie Jean I remember when Michael Jackson's song "Billie Jean" came out that late night Television Host David Letterman and his Band Leader sidekick Paul Shaffer were talking about this song. Dave said to Paul you know Paul "It sounds like Michael Jackson is saying in this "Billie Jean song that the "chair" is not my son". They then played the song and Paul intoned the word "chair" instead of "kid" at the proper place in the song.

Check out the "You Tube" link above for the "Billie Jean" song to see what I'm talking about.

Michael Jackson really lit up the stage with his moon walkin', twirling and choreographed dance numbers such as found in the song "Thriller". He lit up the sidewalk during this "Billie Jean" video. Unfortunately he really lit up his hair during the filming of one of his "Pepsi" commercials. He was so hot that day that he was on fire.

12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH...I'm after that clip from Late Night With David Letterman. If it's on YouTube, I can't find it. Even a tape of that show would be great...it was in the viewer mail segment, and supposedly a viewer sent in a letter to the effect "it really sounds like chair to me Dave, whadda ya think?" Then the clip with Paul's voiceover, loud and monotone, CHAIR. My mom and I laughed so had that we were doing that silent, painful laugh with our faces all screwed up, and we couldn't stop. Nearly peed the pants, etc. It is the most abiding memory I have of LNWDL. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch Letterman much, but that evening my friend and I had gone to Atlanta to see his parents, and that episode was on. We laughed so hard, and to this day I can't listen to that song without saying "chair" out loud, every time the verse plays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my GOD! I can't believe no one's posted this video yet! I used to think I was the oly one who still did this! In fact, I was listening to the song in the shower one day when it came on JACK FM and, as usual, I'm about to say "CHAIR" in a low voice. All of the sudden, my hubby (who was shaving at the sink) mutters "chair", so quietly I was almost certain I hadn't heard him right! He hears ME saying it, too and we both swipe the curtain back and bark "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" at each other. Neither of us ever watch Lettterman, but turns out after 10 years of marriage, we never knew that we'd BOTH seen this same part of the show and were STILL saying "chair"! ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is what I always hear. The Chair. and no matter what it is what I still hear. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's the same chair that didn't hear Neil Diamond in "I Am...I Said."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the Letterman episode in question vividly. Indeed, I cannot hear the refrain and not think of Paul's "the chair" in a low voice. I regularly look for video of it on the Internet, hoping one day it will appear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still looking for that clip! Longing to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I found it. I can't believe it. Ben looking for a while now. It is in the March 28, 1984 episode. The gag begins with letter number 2. In this video starts at 5:37 https://youtu.be/8dybLKdxGZ8?t=337

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular video is gone now. Maybe someone else posted it. Maybe it's out there somewhere.

      Delete
  9. The chair voice is not Paul, but Al Frisch.

    ReplyDelete