Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Black Car

I bought a new to me car yesterday a 2007 Mercury Milan pictured here on a cloudy morning. My other car, a 1999 Mercury Mystique was starting to rust, the transmission was starting to go I think as the car engine would "race and buck" while driving but the "last straw" so to speak for the Mystique was a leak in the brake line so I didn't have working brakes. I had to put the brake pedal to the floor to get the car to stop.When I would fill the car up with brake fluid the fluid would empty out within a mile or two so I didn't want to have to stop every mile I drove that car and refill the brake fluid as it would be quicker almost to walk.

My new car only had a little over 6,000 miles on it when I bought it. My last car I had for a little over 10 years so I probably got my money's worth out of it. I guess this is another example of "nothing lasts forever" and I could have decided to get the transmission fixed and new brake lines but as they say there comes a time when you have to decide whether to keep the car or "move on" and whether to spend "good money' on an ageing car or get a car built in the current century.

Since I didn't have a "working car" I was somewhat "over a barrel" when I went to the car dealership. At first the dealership literally offered me zero dollars for the Mystique and I said, "You know I just put over $30 worth of gas in the car and the catalytic converter is worth something." I have heard that car dealers often try to "steal" cars but zero dollars is nothing. So, I received a very minor trade in allowance but at least it was "better than nothing."

I was almost trying to beat the world's record for buying a car in the quickest time possible as I spent less than two hours at the dealership before I drove out with my new to me car.

I think the picture I took came out pretty well as it was not taken on a bright sunny day where the glare of the Sun sometimes would cause a not so good picture. I have heard that "black cars look better in the shade." "Black cars look better in the shade" I think would make a good title for a song. "Oh wait, I think there already is a song called that. Have you heard it? Do you know what a "black car" is?

One thing I know for sure; a black car in the shade should be a little cooler than a black car in the sun.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new-to-you car. You'll look slimmer in the black car too. Our cars are both from the last century ('98 and '96) but we don't have rust problems here. We buy used and don't put many miles on them. We sold our previous two cars when the a/c died and we didn't want to put $1000 into them. That's our "final straw" with cars! We always find somebody younger willing to buy a car without a/c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barb. Yes for some reason cars do rust over time on "The Cape". Maybe the fact that "The Cape" is surrounded by salt water and a lot of windswept salt air and salted snowy winter roads has something to do with the rust problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to the county fair tonight and happened to park right across the aisle from our last car that we sold to a man who bought it for his son in college. I guess the son is home for the summer. There was some front-end damage. :-(

    ReplyDelete