Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Patch

While walking on Thanksgiving Day down Firetown Road in Simsbury, Connecticut I came across this field of pumpkins. I wonder when the owner of this field will get around to picking these pumpkins as they seemed kind of ripe to me and I'm no pumpkin expert but I think these pumpkins may even be over ripe. But, then I thought "why would someone go to the trouble of planting pumpkins and then not pick them?" Maybe these are a special variety of pumpkins that taste better with age kind of like aged beef, Scotch, or certain wines and cheeses. Then again, maybe the owner of this field is a big follower of the "Charle Brown" comic strip and believes in sacrificing some of his crop as tribute to "The Great Pumpkin". I don't know. I'm sure that many starving people in the world would have loved some pumpkin pie from these pumpkins or even just eating the pumpkin seeds. Yes, the pumpkin seeds are quite tasty when baked in the oven with a little salt and olive oil.

I remember working in these fields when I was 14 and 15 years old in the Summer when these fields were covered with netting and shade tobacco was planted here. They used to use the tobacco leaves for cigar wrappers after the leaves were cured in the tobacco barns.

Maybe the owners grow pumpkins to refresh the soil . I know one thing these pumpkins didn't taste very good when I tried them so maybe in fact they are overripe; or maybe I just don't appreciate this new delicacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment