Saturday, June 13, 2009

"MICHAEL JORDAN AND I

Michael Jordan and I have something in common; besides both being male, human, and liking the game of basketball.

I used to play drums in the Simsbury High School marching band during halftime of the home football games in 1971 and 1972 as a junior and senior. One of the half time songs we played was the opening theme song for the classic and at that time current television show "Hawaii 50". I was one of the marching band members playing the snare drum during the songs and also during the drum cadence as the band maneuvered into whatever formation we performed for that game.

My Mom was in the grandstands for one of the shows and she noticed that while I was playing the snare drum that my tongue was sticking out of my mouth and curled up over my upper lip. Apparently I sometimes do this when I concentrate on something.

Michael Jordan was known for for his "tongue action" as he performed his incredible sky walking maneuvers on the basketball court. I don't think Michael Jordan learned to stick out his tongue from watching me play my snare drum back in high school although I am older than Michael so I didn't learn my tongue concentration behavior from him.

I suppose that Michael Jordan could have been in the stands that afternoon and sitting near my Mom but somehow I doubt it. I doubt that Michael Jordan's parents would drive all the way from Wilmington, North Carolina just to see Simsbury High School play a football game although we were ranked fourth in the state that year. Plus, although our marching band was good we weren't probably good enough for someone to drive all the way from Carolina to Connecticut.

Also, I have read the Michael Jordan loved baseball as well as basketball. He later spent a couple years in baseball as you may recall but had trouble with the professional curve ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment