Sunday, May 23, 2010

"It's Like Riding A Bike!"

I bought a new to me bike today, a 2008 Marin "Argenta" 27 speed road bike. I was surfing the Internet last night and I came across this website by some guy named Craig that had millions of listings for all sorts of items for sale as well as links for job openings, personal ads, and many more goods and services. I don't know how Craig has time to add all these things to his website . In addition, it looks like Craig has other websites for different areas of the country and world besides just Boston ( the Hub of the Universe) and scenic Cape Cod.

This Marin bike came as well with bike shoes, a bike pump, a bike helmet, a pair of bicycle shorts, and two custom bike shirts. The previous owner stated that he had only ridden this bike a little over 300 miles so the bike is virtually new. I was able to purchase this bike at a substantial discount similar to how you can usually get a better value purchasing an almost new car versus a brand new car. In new cars you do get though to enjoy that "new car smell". The new smell is probably found as well when you buy a new bike but the savings realized by not having the "new bike smell" was worth it. Besides, I'm not that into sniffing bicycle seats so I would rather forgo the new seat smell to save some "Benjamins".

This is the first bike I have ever owned that requires custom bike shoes that fit into the custom pedals. I was slightly apprehensive about this but I was able to "snap in" the bike shoes into the pedals and start riding right from the start. In fact, I had such a quick learning curve on figuring how to operate the new pedal system and the gear shifting located on the bike handle near the brakes that I said to myself, "Wow! This is easy. It's just like riding a bike!"

2 comments:

  1. What a great find! Did you find out why he was selling? Upgrading? I just bought a new bike in March, to replace my 20 year old bike. And my sister, who lives in Scituate, just bought a new bike and she realizes she hasn't ridden a bike for 35 years! I hope she gets some good use out it, and you too! Although, I suspect you have a lot more bicycling experience than she does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb, Yep I bought a "Cali" bike as the Marin brand is from California and they are best known for their mountain bikes. The fellow who sold just wasn't into biking anymore and he thought it was a waste for him to just look at the bike in his living room so he decided to sell. I figure I saved about $1,000 versus buying new but for a bike with only about 330 miles on it I think I got a pretty good value.

    ReplyDelete