Monday, January 2, 2012

"Red and White Pepe's Pizza"

Here's a photo of a "red and white" medium pizza that I ate on January 1st, 2012 at "The Original Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana" located at 157 Wooster Street in New Haven, Connecticut. "Pepe's" was established in 1925 and features a massive coal fired pizza oven. This pizza above is comprised of the "white clam" pizza made with fresh shucked clams, grated cheese, garlic and oregano; and the tomato and cheese pizza with fresh garlic.

I had heard of "Pepe's" Pizza and "Sally's" pizza for over thirty years from my days at the University of Connecticut as a student in the mid-70's when some friends of mine used to drive approximately 100 miles round trip to New Haven and back just for these famous Wooster Street pizzas. I never made the trip back then but finally tried my first Pepe's Pizza. I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment