Sunday, April 22, 2012

Duck, Duck, Duck

I went to an estate sale this weekend on Cape Cod and these three ducks there looked like they wanted to follow me home so I let them into my car and now they reside with me. There must have been about 100 ducks inside the antique home. The former resident was an artist that had a studio on the estate property along with an old barn and another workshop. The sale reminded me a little of the "American Pickers" television show as all the buildings were pretty chock full of stuff. One upper level area in the studio building had an old trunk full of these pieces of paper with writing on them, envelopes, one and two cent stamps; I think people used to call them "letters" or something like that. Can you imagine before the rise of computers and "smart" phones people used to use these things called "pens" and send their thoughts to each other? Believe it or not sometimes these letters could take days to reach the person to whom the letter was addressed, not milliseconds as with "e-mail". How quaint!  I took my time and actually perused quite a few of these letters, many of which were written during the 1940's during WWII.

I guess the former owner believed in the philosophy of "waste not want not" as for example there was a box of old electrical fuses in one of the basements even though the electric service was updated to a main circuit panel. Maybe they thought that they better keep the fuses in case they decided to go back to a fuse panel electric service in the future.I don't know.

I think I'm going to like my new pet ducks as they don't seem to need much in the way of upkeep. Being made of wood they don't need any food or water, they don't make any noise, in fact they really don't even move around on their own. These low maintenance ducks will allow me to "Get all my ducks in a row"before the start of another work week. I have named all three of these ducks, their names are Duck, Duck, and Duck similar to boxer George Foreman who names all his sons "George". Now, if in the future I acquire a wooden goose I think I will name the goose "Goose"; then if I need to call these quiet birds I can just say, "Duck,Duck, Duck, Goose".

No comments:

Post a Comment