Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Monk Beer"

I drank this bottle of Belgian beer today, a Chimay Peres Trappistes Ale Grande Reserve  from Belgium. This 1 pint 9.4 fluid ounce bottle has a real cork stopper at the top of the neck and a wire fastener similar to some wine bottles. I bought this beer a while back at "Luke's Liquors' in Dennisport on Cape Cod as every once in a while I like to try a new brew. This beer was rated a "98" by some beer rating service;(I can't remember which) and probably because it was made by Trappist Monks, this beer has a "heavenly body". I'm sure, although maybe I'm wrong, you may have heard the expression "Drunk as a Monk"; or maybe the expression is "Drunk as a Skunk" although I have never personally seen a "drunk skunk" maybe because most skunks are mostly seen in the late nocturnal hours.I don't know if I would call this beer a "bargain brand" as this single beer cost around $9.00 but this brew has a 9% alcohol content by volume. I remember drinking "Stroh's beer" while attending Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio. Back then in 1972, the drinking age was 18 for 3.2% beer. So, this Chimay Trappist Ale beer has almost three times the alcoholic content.

On the bottle it states that the majority of the sales revenue is used to support charitable works. Hmm, I wonder if I can claim a portion of the purchase price as a charitable deduction? The bottle states that the water used in this beer is from the pure highly protected water of the abbey's well, maybe similar to holy water. The yeast used in this beer was isolated by Father Theodore; who may be known to some of his friends as "Father Ted".

This beer tasted fine by me. I can't confess to a refined beer palate, if the beer is cold and not too "skunky", I usually am fine with it.

I think I remember an episode of the old "Batman" television series where Robin said,"Holy beer, Batman!!" Young Robin was probably talking about this brand of brew.

I probably drank this beer today to celebrate two recent calendar events: "Super Bowl Sunday" today and "Groundhog day" yesterday. The "Punxatawney Phil" groundhog didn't see his shadow which portends an early Spring so I need to get in beer drinking shape for the warm weather ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment