Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Musical Math"

YouTube - The Fibonacci in Lateralus Here is an interesting You Tube video of the song "Lateralus" by the Los Angeles based band "Tool" that holds for the premise that this song was deliberately written incorporating the "Fibonacci" number sequence. Fibonacci numbers are used by some investment traders in the stock market and are also said to frequently occur in nature such as the arrangement of some plant leaves and the chambered nautilus of the sea.

I personally find the group "Tool" to be one of the most creative and innovative rock bands of the current rock scene. I have seen "Tool" live at least four times. They incorporate an elaborate light show with videos developed by lead guitarist Adam Jones. Drummer Danny Carey, in my opinion is one of the best if not THE best rock drummer. "Tool" songs are noted for their intricate rhythms and tempo shifts.

I recall one of the shows at the "Great Woods, Tweeter Center, Comcast Center" in Mansfield, Massachusetts as this venue has undergone a few name changes over the years. I was in the eleventh row that night for the "Tool" concert and we were in front of a wall of music speakers that were primarily used by bass player Justin Chancellor. I can still reflect on the "power" of the bass music as you of course could hear the music but also I could "feel" the music right in my sternum area of my chest.

Maynard James Keenan is the singer in "Tool" as well as the band "A Perfect Circle" is somewhat unique as although he is the singer he doesn't stand out front on the stage but rather remains in the shadows to the left of drummer Danny Carey and in front of the massive video screens which are in back of the band.

Yes I think the band "Tool" is cool and definitely more musically and artistically talented than your typical pop or rap group while using things like mathematical concepts such as the "Fibonacci" number series in their songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment