Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"You Light Up My Kitchen"

Today I just installed 2 LED light bulbs in the cathedral ceiling area of my kitchen. These bulbs aren't cheap and they lack the mercury content of florescent light bulbs but I figure I can live without the mercury and don't have to worry about calling a "hazmat" team if this bulb breaks. These LED lights are the "state of the art" as far as energy efficient lighting is concerned. The lighting package says that if you use this bulb 12 hours a day for a year the estimated energy cost is about one dollar.

This bulb has 36 bright white LEDs (light emitting diodes) and uses 1.9 watts of power to provide 60 lumens with a 20,000 hour rated life.  I put these bulbs up today and probably won't have to change them for 40 or 50 years, so I guess when I'm approaching 100 years of age or so I'll have to start paying attention to the bulb and keep watch to see if this bulb needs replacing. This bulb is made with parts from China and Japan so you know it must be of very high quality. Over time this bulb should pay for itself in energy saving.  "You light up my kitchen, you give me hope to see what I'm cookin'...Yes, You.. Light... Up... Myyyyy Kitchennnn."

No comments:

Post a Comment