Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"I'm A BIG Penny Pincher"


Yes, sometimes I'm a big penny pincher. If you don't believe me just look at this picture and you will see me pinching a large cent which was minted in 1854; exactly 100 years before I was born. I wonder what tales this coin could tell if it could talk about the days before the Civil War. I wonder whose pocket or purse this coin hung out in and how many different people owned this coin before me.
You have probably heard the expression "A penny for your thoughts". Well, with this big penny your thoughts should be big as well such as "How are we going to stop this global cooling?". Or, "How is the government going to "fix" health care without rationing treatments and long waits such as found in Canada and England?" Maybe with health care they can clone a bunch of full grown doctors with all the necessary experience as there won't be enough doctors otherwise.
Back in 1854 this penny probably bought at least a loaf of bread or maybe even a meal. Today our little Lincoln pennies although they aren't worthless they definitely are worth less in buying power to this large cent.
This big penny was given to me by my Dad's Uncle Ernest Welcome Shaw. Thank-you Ernest Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment