Friday, March 27, 2009

"CLAMBAKE RAP"

Back in the mid-1980's I worked for the Manning family in Dennis Port on Cape Cod at their local restaurants and motels. One of their properties was the Captain's Clambake Emporium located on Lower County Road in Dennis Port. The "Clambake Emporium" featured the traditional New England Clambake. I was director of Group Sales for their properties and we hosted many groups with a primary emphasis on senior citizen motor coach tours.

In a previous posting I described a potential song radio commercial (We are the clams) that I sang to Chris Manning, one of the owners. I also pitched him a "clambake rap" idea. Back then the "rap" concept wasn't that established as a musical art form. I remember that a group called the "Sugar Hill Gang" had a rap song called "Rapper's Delight" which came out in 1980 and was the first top 40 rap song.

My "Clambake rap" went something like this:

Hey everybody have you heard?
Captain's Clambake Emporium is the word.
Chowder,steak,steamers and lobster too
Served fresh daily just for you.
The salad bar just can't be beat
So help yourself its all you can eat.
Centrally located in Dennis Port town
So join the Captain and come on down.
Grab your car no need to run
See us tonight and have some fun.

In the background while the above "rap" was being said:
"Clambake rap, that's where its at" repeated over and over.

Until now, this "rap" has never been released to the public.

4 comments:

  1. I worked at the CCE in the early 80's washing dishes, it was a pretty good crew. The Burrell bro's were also in the kitchen at the same time. The Chowder was very good, but your not joking about the Senior citizens, but on the plus side they at least aren't out late. The plates were in the shape of a fish with a place for the tartar in the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I probably know you and you may have worked there when my brother Steve washed dishes there as well one summer. I have a few other postings so far as well in this blog about the "emporium".

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude! that place is no longer a restaurant...its my house haha. i rent it out with a few young guys. we rage in this bitch lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother used to travel a lot with the senior citzens group. She would pick up matchbooks for me a my brother from all different locations. I have one from the Captain's Clambake Emporium. i was wondering if it was still there. Now I know. Would be nice to have a little history on that place. My matchbook might be worth something to someone.

    ReplyDelete