Saturday, March 21, 2009

"KING OF THE PARADE"

I remember back when I was in kindergarten living in Carmel, New York that my Mom made me an elaborate Halloween costume. That year for Halloween I was "King Richard the Lionhearted". The costume had a hand woven coat of arms, a hand made medieval knights helmet, and a hand made sword and shield.

All of the kindergarten kids brought their Halloween costumes to class just before the big candy night. My costume was judged the best in class. We all put on our costumes that day and lined up in the class single file and marched down the hall to the cafeteria. I was chosen to be "King of the Parade" and lead our motley crew through the hallway and through the cafeteria where the second,third, fourth, and fifth graders (all the "big kids") were eating their lunch.

Leading the parade was quite an honor. In addition to being chosen to lead our little costumed caravan for having the best costume; I'm sure it helped that I had a sword in case the "big kids" tried to attack us. As "King Richard the Lionhearted", I would have defended our merry little band with every ounce and fibre of my being. With leadership comes responsibility.

Fortunately the "big kids" kept their distance and didn't attack us as I led our victorious march through the cafeteria without any casualties. Those "big kids" didn't mess with the "King of the Parade". Everyone survived to continue on that night in their quest for candy and greater glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment