Saturday, May 9, 2009

"SEARCHING FOR PECAN PIE"

About a dozen years ago while working during the evening at the Soundings motel front desk I received a phone call from "Irene" who lived in Bloomfield, Connecticut. She was interested in visiting Cape Cod by herself and wanted to stay for about six weeks. She wanted an oceanfront location but didn't care if her room faced the beach as long as the motel was on the beach.

At the Soundings we have a room #49 which we generally don't rent over the phone as this room is smaller than our typical rooms and we want to make sure people have a chance to see this room in person if possible to make sure this room met their needs, Room #49 has a double bed, bathroom with a toilet, sink and tub, a closet and that is about it. This room is about half the size of a regular room as there is a storage room in back of room #49 which the coffee shop staff use to store various kitchen supplies. Since this room is small we charge a smaller price.

I told "Irene" about this room and we even discounted our normal lower price further as she wanted such a long stay. I told "Irene" that I grew up in Simsbury, Connecticut which is the town next to her residence in Bloomfield. "Irene" was so please with the fact that we could accommodate her for her extended visit and liked the price that we offered her that she said to me, "Rick, I want to get you something to pay you back for getting me such a good deal." I said, "No, you don't have to do that, we are happy that we were able to find a room that met your needs." Irene then said "Well, I really do appreciate what you did for me. There must be something I can get you." I then said, "Well, if you want you can bring me a pecan pie but you really don't have to get me anything."

Pecan pie is my favorite kind of pie. I wasn't going to be upset if "Irene" didn't bring me a pie and wasn't really expecting her to remember to bring me a pie.

A few weeks passed and it was the day "Irene" was due to check in and start her Cape Cod visit. I met "Irene" at the front desk and she was very apologetic. "Irene" said, "Rick, I searched five different grocery stores in Bloomfield, West Hartford, Hartford, and Simsbury looking for a pecan pie to bring with me for you. I couldn't find a pecan pie anywhere." I said "don't worry about it "Irene" I didn't expect you to go through all that searching for a pie."

"Irene" became a frequent guest at the Soundings and gave me a pecan pie on each of her next two visits. Thanks for the pie "Irene". With your persistence in looking for that first pecan pie and remembering me on your future visits you really "take the cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment