Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Shakin' All Over"

Ever get the "shakes" when it is warm outside in the Summer but you can't stop "shivering"? This has happened to me a couple memorable times in my life and wasn't caused by any withdrawl symptoms from drugs or alcohol. I like beer and drink perhaps one or two a day as I like the taste and I have read that it is actualy better for you to drink a beer or two a day versus not drinking at all. As far as drugs go once in a while I have an aspirin but that is about it. I don't have any prescriptions of any sort and don't believe in getting sick.

The first memorable "shake" happened in the Summer at the Soundings motel in Dennis Port on Cape Cod about fifteen years ago when I was working one night at the front desk in the evening with my brother Scott. Before I went to work that afternoon I had a snack of smoked oysters on crackers and a container of yogurt. I guess that is not the best combination of food to have at the same time at least not for me that night. Although it was July and over eighty degrees outside I couldn't stop shaking and started to feel dizzy with "vertigo". The smoked oysters were from Thailand and came in a can. I started to feel sick to my stomach and went into the men's room off the motel lobby and "threw up". After that I felt better and continued on for the rest of the night and started to feel normal again. I have never eaten Thailand canned smoked oysters again. I probably was suffering from a mild case of food poisoning and once I "threw up" I seemed to have cured myself.

The second memorable "shake" happened about three years ago also at the Soundings. Again it was during the hot summer season and I couldn't stop shaking all over. I joked,"boy, it is really cold in here, can I turn on the heat?" As Morgan and Claire were also working that night, I went home to get in my bed for about an hour and then returned to the motel. I don't remember what I ate that day and didn't "throw up" that time but eventually the shaking subsided.

These episodes reminded me of the songs "Shakin' All Over" and "Oh Susannah" where there is a verse "sun so hot I froze to death Susannah don't you cry". I'll bet the"Susannah" person in the song didn't eat oysters and yogurt though.

No comments:

Post a Comment