Wednesday, August 19, 2009

THE SWARM


Three days ago I was visited at my house by a traveling swarm of honey bees who decided that they would like to live underneath my enclosed porch. The first day there I saw a swarm of it seemed like a thousand bees whirling around and buzzing outside my sliding glass door for a few minutes before they went off to wherever they wanted to fly that day.
When I first saw this swarm I thought that it might have been a bunch of yellow jackets as I had a yellow jacket nest near the entrance to my basement area between the cracks of some landscape ties a few years ago. Luckily though these are honey bees and they don't seem to bother me and aren't as aggressive as yellow jackets.
I don't know yet if I will have these bees removed or maybe I should get a wooden bee hive area and try to move the queen bee so I could have some honey for my cereal and /or tea. I wonder where these bees came from and also why they picked my house for their new location?
I know I should BEE careful in any event.
To BEE or not to BEE that is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment