Saturday, February 21, 2009

"YOU LOOK LIKE A RABBI "

My cousin Suzanne Driscoll married Les Ziskis in a wedding ceremony held under a tent in the back yard of her parent's home in Simsbury back in the late 1960's. I think I was a freshman or sophomore in high school at the time. It was a summer time wedding and I remember that they had a bucket full of beer and ice. The beer back then was Piel's beer and the bottles were the wide mouth style which made for faster drinking and pouring. At this wedding, my cousin Roger Spear and I would sneak a beer from the bucket and walk to the front yard of the house away from the backyard celebration and quickly "chugg" the easy pouring Piel's and then walk back to the wedding festivities only to repeat this process a few more times over the course of the afternoon. It was important to commemorate this joyous event and we didn't want to have a technicality like not being of legal drinking age get in the way of toasting the newly wed couple. After all kids in France have wine with their meals.

After Les and Suzanne were married they moved to New York City. Les was previously married to Woody Allen's sister. Suzanne invited my sisters Janet and Leeanne to come visit them and see a Broadway play.

So, Suzanne, Les, and my sisters went to see the play "Play It Again Sam", starring Woody Allen who also wrote this play. After the play was over, they all went backstage to Woody Allen's dressing room to say hello to Woody. Les had grown a beard at that time. My sisters weren't familiar with Woody Allen and thought that they were going to see the comedian Marty Allen.

Everyone is in Woody's dressing room and Woody says to Les; "Les, you look like a Rabbi".

I'll drink to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment