Sunday, January 11, 2009

MY SIXTH GRADER TEACHER

No, not my sixth grade teacher, yes, my sixth grader teacher.

Back when I was in 2nd grade attending school in Carmel, New York, my class was given an aptitude/IQ test. We all took the test and about a week later my teacher said to me "Ricky can I see you after class for a minute?" The school day ended and everyone from the class left to wait for their school bus to take them home for the day.

I remained behind and my teacher said to me, "Ricky, you were the only one in the class that knew how to do the multiplication and division problems on that test we all took last week. How did you know how to do that?"

The multiplication and division problems on the test were something like 3 times 2 equals ___
and 8 divided by 4 equals ____. We did not learn these "high math " concepts in 2nd grade in those days.

I replied to my teacher "Oh, my neighbor Anthony Debrew is in sixth grade and I was over at his house when he was doing his homework and he taught me."

I guess I was ready to learn these math skills as the saying goes: "When the student is ready the teacher will appear".

P.S. If anyone isn't sure of the answers to the multiplication and division examples I mention above just make a note in the comment section below and I will provide you with the answer (if you are ready to try to learn these complex math concepts).

No comments:

Post a Comment