Wednesday, January 7, 2009

NOT A BAD CONCERT

I transferred from Marietta College to the University of Connecticut for the spring semester of my sophomore year. At the end of that semester they had a free outdoor concert in the parking lot out by the hockey rink. The year was 1974.

For this concert the bands were as follows:

1. Fat Back Bank. A rhythm and blues band from New York City

2. Fairport Convention. A Brittish folk-rock band.

3. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band . 24 year old Bruce Springsteen and Company. I had never heard of him before but thought he was quite talented. I bought his record album, The Wild,the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, after I heard him play. I really thought he could be popular one day.

4. Aerosmith- The "Bad Boys from Boston". Steven Tyler was jumping off of amplifiers with his scarf laden microphone stand and singing songs such as Dream On and "Train Kept a Rollin".


NOT A BAD CONCERT.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember who was playing that same Spring Fling weekend behind the old fieldhouse at UConn? George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelics, who are playing in Boston tonight. I was telling someone yesterday about the concert behind the hockey rink, and googled it to make sure time hadn't enhanced my memory. It was quite a show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, Don't remember ole George He had an interesting song "Paint the White House Black" among others. Quite the funky kat.

    ReplyDelete